Fire Prevention


FireTips

  SMOKE ALARMS are the best insurance you can have when it comes to fire safety in your home. Each bedroom should have one—one that works. Test smoke alarms weekly and change batteries at least twice a year (when you change your clocks for daylight savings time). Make sure they work.
Smoking and drinking are a lethal combination. Smoking and drinking carelessness is a leading cause of fire. Don't empty ashtrays into the trash.
Keep matches, lighters, and candles away from children.
Be careful with candles. Don't leave them unattended. Never sleep with candles burning.
Remove electrical cords from under rugs and behind radiators. Never nail or staple the cord to walls or molding.
Don't overload outlets and extension cords.
Never put a portable space heater near drapes, furniture, bedding, or other flammable materials.
Move flammable liquids stored near the stove or other heat source to a safe, distant location.
Remove all materials on or near your stove that could catch fire, including paper, dish cloths, etc.
Early notification can make ALL the difference - in case of fire call 911.


Winter Fire Tips

  Don't leave candles unattended, especially with children around.
Make sure holiday decorations are non-flammable and are secured in a way that a child can not pull them down.
Maintain your heating system for the season.
Move all combustibles away from your heating system.
Never leave a space heater on when you leave the room.
Never place bedding, curtains or furniture too close to a space heater.
Make sure all holiday lights are UL approved and have proper wiring.
If you have a live christmas tree, make sure you water it to keep it moist.
Use flashlights instead of candles during blackouts.


The Silent Killer CARBON MONOXIDE

The arrival of colder weather brings the anticipation of holiday fun with family and friends. It also marks the time of year when exposure to carbon monoxide (CO) is most common. CO is an odorless, colorless gas that is produced whenever fuel is burned. The danger of CO is increased during the winter because people spend more time indoors and keep the windows and doors tightly closed. Exposure to low levels of CO can make you sick. Higher levels can kill you! To protect yourself and your family from the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning, keep the following tips in mind:

1. Have a qualified person like PSE&G check all fuel-burning appliances in your home.
2. Install a CO detector on every floor of your home. Place the detectors on the ceiling or high on the wall to protect them from damage.
3. Make sure you can hear the CO detectors in all parts of your home.
4. Check the detectors for propper operation as recommended by the manufacturer.
5. If a CO detector sounds, get everyone out of the house as quickly as possible. Then call the FireDepartment at 911.

Some pages courtesy of FDNY Fire Zone